What should a daughter know about men, life, herself, love? What you do and say today will make a difference in her entire life.
Tara Hedman, a certified psychotherapist, shared her observations about what dads of little daughters should know, who still cannot explain what they really need, in the format of the daughter's requests to the father:
1. As you love me, so I will love myself.
2. Ask me how I feel and listen carefully to my answer. I need to know that you value me before I can understand my true worth.
3. I learn what caring is by the way you treat my mom, whether you are married or not.
4. If you are angry with me, I can feel it even if I don’t understand. So talk to me!
5. Every time you show kindness to me or to someone else, I learn to trust the world a little more.
6. I need to see that you are strong physically. This is how I will learn to trust the physical strength of men.
7. Please do not talk about sex as a teenager, or I will think that it is something dirty.
8. When you speak to me tenderly, I understand you much better.
9. When you talk about a woman's body and "just kidding", remember that this is what I will think about myself and my body.
10. As you treat my heart, so I will allow other men to treat it.
eleven. If you teach me to seek what brings me joy, I will always seek it.
12. If you teach me to feel safe with you, I can find a man with whom I will feel the same way.
13. Teach me to love art, science and nature, and I will know that intelligence is more important than clothing size.
14. Let me say exactly what I want, even if it's stupid or wrong, because I need to know that my opinion is important to you.
15. I will grow up and my body will change, and if you behave in a strange way, I will think that something is wrong with it.
16. If you know how to please yourself, then I will learn.
17. When I ask to let me go, please remain available and I will always know that I can return and you will take care of me.
18. If you show me tenderness, I learn to accept my own vulnerability, and not be afraid of it.
19. When you let me help you fix your car or paint your house, I understand that I can do the same as the boys.
20. When you protect me, I know that everything in me is worthy of protection.
21. The way you treat our dog when you think I can't see you will tell me more about you than anything else.
22. Don't let me think that money is the main thing, or I won't respect you.
23. Hug me, take my hand and kiss as often as you want, then I will know what a healthy relationship is.
24. Please don't lie to me because I believe everything you say.
25. Don't avoid tough conversations because it makes me think that I shouldn't fight.
Little girls love their dads very much. Each of them thinks that her dad is the best. Don't forget that one day she will grow up. What should she know about men, life, herself, love? What you do and say today will make a difference in her entire life.