A look at the training of an armwrestler for European and world champions. Armwrestling training methods.
This question is of interest to every novice athlete, and in this material we will introduce you to some champions and their views on armwrestler training.
John Bresenk, USA. Multiple world champion, USA
- Strong wrist or strong bicep - which is more important for armwrestling?
- Developing forearm and hand strength is the first and most important step for an armwrestler. Without them, you will not be able to fully use the strength of your arm muscles and increase the power of your movement.
I think that the muscles of the forearm, triceps, shoulder and back are more important in keeping the "lock" than the biceps. Sure it looks great, but it sits at the bottom of my list of muscles.
- After the competition, I suffered from pain in the upper shoulder for several weeks. What are your recommendations?
- I am familiar with these sensations. I recommend doing a series of concentrated exercises for the delta muscles … The more you armwrestle and compete in higher-level competitions, the more new muscles will feel painful … Sport is sport! I think it's okay.
Andrey Yunkov. Two-time world and European champion, Moscow
- I now train no more than three times a week, although at the time of active athleticism I did 6 times in a weekly cycle. I have one big advantage over my opponent - I feel very subtly the load I need. I build my workouts purely intuitively, practically without using training plans. Intuition doesn't let me down. The body, which has summed up 20 years of training sessions, accurately determines the level of load I need, and I completely trust it. The core of the workout is building arm and torso strength. The main training aids are weight work and work with rubber. Both of them interact with each other, so I can't say which is preferable - their strength is just in combination.
Chupalav Omarov, world and European champion, Moscow
“… Physical strength, from my point of view, is a thing in armwrestling, of course, necessary, but it comes to the fore in a duel between two experienced armwrestlers only when all other components are absolutely equal. Among the qualities that are no less important than physical strength in arm wrestling, I would classify the reaction, the ability at a critical moment to use all the forces of the body, high neuromuscular coordination, flexibility and mobility of the hand and, of course, volitional qualities."
Bruce Wei "The animal", participant of the "Over the top" tournament
from the film of the same name with Sylvester Stallone. According to the plot of this film, only Bruce's hero was able to defeat the invincible Stallone. USA.
“… I train 2-3 times a week for 2 - 3 hours. I use dumbbells and blocks, as well as specialized hand trainers. It takes me a lot of time to work with the two best hands in the country … Brothers John and Jim Woolay are my sparring partners, they are people to whom I owe everything that I have achieved in the world of armwrestling. They instilled in me a love of training and provided moral support …"
Virgin Arcero - 1976, 77, 78 World Heavyweight Champion. USA
“… I put my hand on the arm table and do dumbbell curls. (The exercise resembles a biceps lift from the knee. Author's note). I lift about 60 kg for 18 reps, 75 kg for 14 reps, and 81 kg for 8 reps. I like doing a lot of reps. I roll about 70 kg on my forearm with one hand …"
Sam and Jim Batley are 1987 World Middle and Welterweight Champions. USA
After that, we move on to work at the table. We wrestle with and without straps for as long as we can. And we repeat this every time …"
Igor Grushnikov, Moscow, world and European champion, honored master of sports
When preparing for a competition, I train 5 times a week for 2 hours. I put the main emphasis on the development of strength and endurance. I prefer to train with rubber and, directly, sparing, but recently I have actively started using exercises with weights. I put "Start" in the pre-competition period when working with a partner. I work a lot in statics, I believe that this is the basis of training. I pay a lot of attention to general physical training. In summer - jogging, in winter - skiing. Mandatory - the pool …
Photo: World Cup in armwrestling for the prizes of the Mayor of Makhachkala Said Amirov, Dagestan, May 22-25, 2008
Material provided by the champion of Russia Kuznetsov V.